Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Passing of One of the Most Beautiful Saltaire Girls

PIPER--Kelly, 59, passed away at her home on December 4, 2009. Daughter of Eugene Stanton and Liza Piper (Hyde), stepdaughter of Henry Hyde, all deceased. Beloved by all who knew her, she is survived by her son, Nicholas Stanton Locker, sister Anastasia Piper, niece and nephew, Belle and Will Piper, and a multitude of devoted friends.

I was too young to remember Kelly, but my mother (and my best source for Blog fodder) tells me she was the most beautiful young girl when she was 11 or 12. Apparently Allen Aherne was quite smitten with her in the early 60's. As my mother tells it, in the interests of protecting her virtue, either her mother or Irish nanny cut her hair and did everything possible to make Kelly look as homely as possible.

I wouldn't dare question my mother again after the chastising I received after relating the Harper Lee story, but does anyone have any early recollections of Kelly Piper?
--Cosmo





Response:

Of course everybody in Saltaire in the 1950's and 1960's knew Eugene and Kelly and Stacey. Mother was a fashion model. They were about the most popular kids on the island. And all three were good looking.
Then they left.

Think of the Sandburg poem:


GONE

Everybody loved Chick Lorimer in our town.
Far off
Everybody loved her.
So we all love a wild girl keeping a hold
On a dream she wants.

Nobody knows now where Chick Lorimer went.
Nobody knows why she packed her trunk. . a few old things
And is gone,
Gone with her little chin
Thrust ahead of her
And her soft hair blowing careless
From under a wide hat,
Dancer, singer, a laughing passionate lover.
Were there ten men or a hundred hunting Chick?

Were there five men or fifty with aching hearts?
Everybody loved Chick Lorimer.
Nobody knows where she's gone.

Sandburg, Chicago Poems



Irish Nanny, Ethnie O'Flaherty (I think of County Mayo) was one of the most colorful of all Saltairians. She later did some nannying for the Correa kids. One bunch of great people.

--JOH

Richardinhingham said...
Those three were all gorgeous. I was too nerdy to know any of them well, but the two girls AND Eugene were just so perfect. Eugene was a great ball player as well. I remember Kelly as being kind of surprisingly approachable and human, but I have no pictures. I would love to see any pictures that the Blog has on any of the Pipers. Somehow this also reminds me of Marcia Clay and Nancy Olds, gorgeous young girls who stopped returning to Saltaire. Very sorry to hear of Kelly's death.
December 16, 2009 9:43 PM



JOH: search,and you will find pictures of Stacey and Eugene and Ethnie. I would you tell where they are but you can have a good time looking for them. There's probably lots of stuff you haven't seen.


I need a volunteer geek who could help me design a real website. We could build one that would make it easier to find all this priceless stuff. I have published over 1000 photos on this blog, but people often say they are hard to track down. Help me please, some geek out there??--JOH

2 comments:

jimmy said...

In fact, Cosmo, Stacey Piper adn Kelly Piper were beautiful and their brother Eugene was handsome.All three kids were among themost popular Saltaire kids in the 1950-1960. Their Mom, Lisa Piper was a fashion model in the 1950's.The pipers al;so had the most amazi9ng Itish "nanny" Ethnie O'Flaherty who was kind of friend to all from Father Fitzgibbon to Captain Al and everybody in between. In later years,Etnie also did some Nannying for the Correas.

This blog has pictures of Eugene and of Ethnie, and of Stacey. If you wanna see them, let me know. Anyone who knew them would immediately recognize their images.
I do not think we have a picture of Kelly.If anybody does, please let us know.

Richardinhingham said...

Those three were all gorgeous. If anything Stacey was the most ethereal, but Kelly had a more sensual look. I was too nerdy to know any of them well, but the two girls AND Eugene were just so perfect. Eugene was a great ball player as well. I remember Kelly as being kind of surprisingly approachable and human, but I have no pictures. I would love to see any pictures that the Blog has on any of the Pipers. Somehow this also reminds me of Marcia Clay and Nancy Olds, gorgeous young girls who stopped returning to Saltaire.

Very sorry to hear of Kelly's death.