Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Can you Name two Saltairians in this Pic?


Not one, but TWO Saltairinas are clearly  in this picture.   And we also  wonder about the out- of -focus female head in the back, top.

Ralph Perlberger sez:  
I cannot name the Saltairian, but I admire the late forties double-breasted suit jacket – a classic.
    --Ralph P


Here's the answer

Tom Ervin is on the left side of the picture beside Lyon's right arm.
Here are some comments from today.

Bill Ervin here (AKA Blervin), 
         -- it's time to wade into the fray. First of all, kudos to Beaver for finding that pic...I have seen and actually have a number of individual photos of Tom E and Charles L at the Nuremberg trials, as well as Telford Taylor (whom some of you may have known from early visits to my parents house, and perhaps part of a summer or two on his own with his family), but NEVER a photo of the two of them together! Fantastic!! Jon, have you ever seen this photo?

As to the blurry female in the background, I am quite certain of one thing--if there is a baby in her arms it is definitely not me. I would have been in Norma's womb, not her arms, as I was born in NYC after my parents returned from Nuremberg. Too blurry for me to tell if it is my mother or not. Norma's Nuremberg functions did not require her to actually attend the trials, and in fact she was apparently quite busy with her own important tasks. So while she no doubt probably attended some of the trials I suspect it was a small percentage of them. On the other hand, Jon Lyon's mother was covering the trials for the New Yorker, and she definitely would have been present at nearly all of them while she was in Germany.

So Jon, what do you think about the possibility of the blurry female being Andy Logan (Lyon)? Based on how they wore their hair some 6-10 years later, the hairstyle looks more like Andy's than Norma's, but I couldn't say for sure.

Beaver, if you can find the other photo of my father you mentioned, or send me the likely web link, I'd be much obliged. And again, regardless of whether you have a life or not, I was delighted to see that photo!

My regards to all of you various and sundry Saltairians... (salty Sundrarians?)

Blerv
----------------------------------

JO'H:  Ol' Andy Logan was not as tall as Nervin, so that is not Andy towering in the background.  



But as to Andy: 
Andy delivered Laurie in Switzerland. 

When Laurie turned 18 in the summer of 1965, she  still looked 14, so   she would carry her birth certificate to show to bartenders. (Drinking age was 18 then)   Trouble is, her  birth certificate was in GERMAN  that nobody could read, so they would continue to treat Laurie like she was 14. This made Laurie  angry and self righteous.  But the bar tenders would not listen. I think then Laurie had to rely on her 11 year old brother Jon to buy her drinks.  


As to Beaver:  If you dig up a mountainside, you are bound to stumble on a nugget here and there.  So let it be with the much- maligned Beaver.


Personally, I wish we could all get together somewhere, some day. Talk. Grand time. toast or two. You know "those were the days my friend...."  etc. etc.   And when Beaver gets up to speak, I could nod off to sleep:
When the tale of their journeyings was told, there were other tales, and yet more tales, tales of long ago, and tales of new things, and tales of no time at all, till Bilbo's head fell forward on his chest, and he snored comfortably in a corner.
--The Hobbit
---------------------------------

      On 3/18/2013 9:21 AM, Robert Feustel wrote:
I found the picture(s) on the Internet and forwarded it to Jim. It's amazing what you can find on the Internet when you have an inordinate amount of time to waste each day.

On Mar 18, 2013, at 11:16 AM, Beaver wrote:
Hugh -

Why did you have to "tip off" most everyone to who it was/is??

And yes, that may in fact be Norma - I believe she's holding a fourth Saltairian in her arms(young Bill).


Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Hugh O'Brien wrote

I’d hope the Lyons would know!
Do you really think the possible third Saltairian is N.E.? (As I infer from the photo’s caption.)
If only Frank Kahn had wandered into the room. He said he had handed prisoners over to Norma’s care at Nuremberg, as the two realized over 20 years later in Saltaire, when they “re-met”.
Where did you get this pic, Jim?



On 3/18/13 1:37 AM, "Emily Lyon" <                  wrote:

I second that second Saltairian.


           
                    On Mar 18, 2013, at 12:10 AM, "Lyon, Jonathan W" <                    wrote:

I certainly do too. And I almost sure there is another Saltarian in the picture as well.

On Mar 17, 2013, at 10:04 PM, "Robert Feustel"                      wrote:

I know the answer

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 17, 2013, at 9:33 PM, JO'H                         wrote:Can you name this Saltairian? 

No comments: