The Schmitts, Mrs. Paul Connelly, and Mrs. Lynch held fundraisers. Lots of early Saltairians were Brooklynites.
click on images to enlarge
The First Vanilla church was Chocolate, just like St. Andrew's is today. The first Mass was held July, 1926. That is Msgr. William T. Dillon, J.D., a big shot in the Diocese of Brooklyn and the pastor of the Catholic church, 1926-1938. After 1938 he was transferred to Ocean Beach.
The original church was south of Lighthouse Promenade, across from where the present church now stands. It was destroyed in the hurricane of 1938.