Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Monday, July 20, 2009

APOLLO 11 AT SYC

In the summer of 1969 I was 9 years old. I have always appreciated being born in 1960 as it made it easy for me to figure out my own age (yes I am that spacey).

Let me start by saying that I am no slacker when it comes to TV watching. But in the 60’s, for 3 months out of each year, while in Saltaire for the summer, it was unheard of.


Enlarge photo for surprise, use back button to return to post



Except for one day 40 years ago when the broadcast was live from the moon! The problem was that no one seemed to have a TV, let alone any decent reception. So we all gathered down at the Saltaire Yacht Club and watched the live broadcast. One small step for man… yadda yaddda yaddda, you know how it went.

Were any of you blog readers there? I remember it vividly. You could barely see anything on the black and white Zenith that was commandeered for this one and only TV day at the club. It is no wonder that so many cried “hoax”. So were any of you there in that hot old big room for the lunar landing? I am quite sure it happened!! The broadcast at the club that is…


Cosmo O said:
I was there and remember it well. I was fourteen at the time. I remember my parents being there and the snow on the TV.

Jennifer Fontanals Woolford said:
I was there. Must have been 7.
I would rather be at Saltaire than on the moon.
Must get back there... it has been too long away for me and the rest of the woolfords
xo

Kathy Shea Macadam said:
I remember that me and sibs and a group of friends (8-10...more?) jammed into one of our small bedrooms and watched on one tv, while the folks and their group watched another in the family room. k.


2 comments:

cosmo said...

I was there and remember it well. I was fourteen at the time. I remember my parents being there and the snow on the TV.

jennifer Fontanals Woolford said...

I was there. Must have been 7.

I would rather be at Saltaire that on the moon.
Must get back there... it has been too long away for me and the rest of the woolfords
xo