Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Sunday, March 8, 2009

DAN CALLAHAN RECALLS ART MOL






A GREAT OLD TIME SALTAIRIAN, DAN CALLAHAN, RECALLS ONE OF THE ALL TIME SALTAIRE GREATS ON THE OCEANFRONT AND BALL FIELD.

DAN CALLAHAN WRITES:

I was reading “Snowball”, recently published biography and best seller about Warren Buffett. When Buffett was about 15 in 1940, he visited Wall Street with his dad for the first time. The author related that it was a scene from the Exchange dining room that captured his imagination.
“We had lunch at the exchange with a fellow named At Mol, a Dutchman, a member of the Stock Exchange and a very impressive –looking man. After lunch, a guy came along with a tray that had all these different kinds of tobacco leaves on it. He made up a cigar for Mr. Mol, who picked out the leaves that he wanted. And I thought, This is it. It doesn’t get any better than this. A custom-made cigar.” According to the writer, that day, as he beheld the cigar man, a vision of his future was planted.
The Mol’s, for many years, had a home in Saltaire. Art Mol was about my age and was a lifeguard after we left. He had a younger brother, Adrian and a younger sister whose name escapes me. My brothers and I used to deliver the newspapers daily and I remember the Mol’s always received either the NY Times and Herald Tribune. I a pretty consistent basis, we never received enough papers, so we had to skip customers randomly. I learned it was a real mistake to skip Mr. Mol when he came charging up our walk looking for his paper. I casually mentioned that it was his turn to miss and he about swallowed one of those “ custom-made” cigars. He never missed another paper. I guess I was about 15 at the time. I’ve lost track of his son Art but it would be fun to hear of his whereabouts. I usually won most of the swimming races during the summer until Art arrived before Labor Day from summer camp and consistently trashed me in the Labor Day finale.

Dan Callahan



(Ed note: THANKS FOR THE GREAT STORY, DAN, AND PLEASE KEEP THE STORIES AND PICTURES COMING. SALTAIRE HISTORY IS INCOMPLETE WITHOUT INPUT FROM THE THE CALLAHAN/CORRIGAN CLAN.


The Mols sold their house to the Stillgebauers. Where did the Callahans live?)

No comments: