Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Sunday, January 18, 2009

WE HEAR FROM JAIME MARSCHALK




CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE
FROM GEORGIA COMES A LETTER FROM AN OLD FRIEND:


Hi Jim,

I came across your blog and thought you might be interested with at least one of the photos I'm sending. The house in the picture was owned by my grandfather Harry Marschalk, then my dad. The house is still on the west side of Broad Walk, across and a little south of the church, at the corner of BW and Harbor Walk, I think. I remember about everything else about the house except for the exact address. My earliest memories (early 1970's) are of this house and watching cartoons at the "theater" on Saturdays and rainbow sherbet at the market. The second photo is of my dad, Harry Marschalk jr. at age 13 (which would have been around 1949 or 1950) after winning the Saltaire Midget boat races. I don't know who the girl in the photo is, unfortunately. I thought this might interest your blog readers. Hope so anyway!
--Jamie Marschalk, Alphretta, GA
ed note: checking around, we are reasonably confident that the girl in question is our old friend, the late Jean Lang Veronese.
Edie Watts advises us that Jean Lang's family:
" was owner of one of the orginal six CC’s ordered for the summer of 1946. The other owners were the Bells, Ludlows, Jean Illingworth (Jessup), and Edie Whitney. I can’t remember who the sixth owner was." -- Edie Watts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was off on my math *sheepish grin*.
Harry was born in 1936 so the picture of he and the girl would have been taken around 1949-50.


Jaime Marschalk