THESE ARE THE FACTORS THAT WENT INTO OUR DECISION:
1) FIRE ISLAND FERRIES ADVISED HUGH O'BRIEN AND CHIP HULL AND PATSY O'SHEA INDEPENDENTLY OF EACH OTHER THAT FERRY SERVICE WILL ALMOST DEFINITELY BE SUSPENDED SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.
2) THE VILLAGE OF SALTAIRE'S NOTIFICATION:
Jim — I just got this and decided to forward it to you. Despite what it says in the 2nd paragraph, ferry service is almost certain to be suspended.But I understand Sunday will be beautiful, so we were right to move it till then. Even if the ferries somehow still ran, with 50 mph winds, 5 inches of rain and heavy seas, not to mention flooding and possible power loss, it’s just as well to have postponed.
MessageFrom: Donna from Village of Saltaire email@example.com : Fri, 05
Subject: Storm UpdateSTORM
UPDATE Tropical Storm Hanna is currently projected to move up the eastern coast of the United States and cross Long Island sometime on Saturday, September 5, 2008. According to the current forecast from the National Weather Service, Hanna may reach the status of a Category 1 Hurricane by the time it reaches Long Island, although it is more likely to remain a tropical storm with winds gusting to 40 to 50 mph. Regardless of its status, the storm will be accompanied by heavy rain and high winds, and associated flooding and beach erosion are likely. If you are in or are planning to come to Saltaire for the week-end, please be advised that these types of conditions are prime for downed tress and power lines, accompanied by associated power outages. As of now, ferry service remains as scheduled, although travelers should be aware that suspension of service is possible if wind conditions become severe. Dangerous surf and Rip Tide currents are very likely with this storm, and therefore all ocean beaches in Saltaire will be closed for the week-end. Lifeguards will not be on duty and all residents are advised to stay off of the beaches and out of the water. Secure all loose items on your deck and property. Please keep posted to local TV and radio for weather updates, and to the Village website at www.saltaire.org as we will update this information as appropriate. In the event that the storm worsens beyond current projections, or if any action is required on your part, the Village will advise you of the changing circumstances via email or phone contact as appropriate. We will monitor the storm on a continuing basis for its duration. If you need assistance, you may call the Village office at (631)5 83-5566 or Saltaire Security at (631) 583-5572.
3) E MAILS FROM TRAVELERS: PEOPLE ON THE BEACH ALREADY WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM GETTING TO AND FROM THE CLUB. I HAVE COMMUNICATED A GUEST FROM FLORIDA; A GUEST FROM CONN; AND A GUEST FROM CALIF, ALL ARE TRAVELING SIGNIFICANT DISTANCES, AND ALL CAN MAKE IT SUNDAY. THEY ALL ALL MAY HAVE SIGNIFICANT TRAVEL PROBLEMS MAKING IT TO THE ISLAND SATURDAY NIGHT BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE FERRIES DO.
4) CLUB AVAILABILITY: THE CLUB HAS SAID THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH USING THE CLUB ON SUNDAY INSTEAD OF SATURDAY.
5) PEOPLE ON THE ISLAND GENERALLY ARE FOR KEEPING WITH SATURDAY NIGHT; PEOPLE TRAVELING ARE GENERALLY HAPPY WITH SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
IT IS HEREBY RESOLVED: NOT EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WILL NOT ATTEND SUNDAY. REFUNDS WILL BE MADE, BUT LET US KNOW.
CONCLUSION: REUNION WILL BE HELD SUNDAY.
THE ABOVE ARE THE FACTORS WE CONSIDERED IN MAKING OUR DECISION.
WE MUST HAVE NAMES BY FRIDAY MIDNIGHT IN ORDER TO ASSURE THAT THE MENU DETAILS AND QUANTITIES CAN BE FINALIZED.
COST: OPEN BAR COCKTAIL HOUR AND BUFFET DINNER $55 PER HEAD $25 PER HEAD CHILD
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY NOTIFIED US YOU ARE COMING, PLEASE E MAIL US BY THURSDAY NIGHT TO LET US THAT YOU ARE COMING.
Payment can be made in the door by CASH, provided that you let us know by Thursday night that you are coming.
E MAIL US ANY OTHER QUESTIONS
our e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
EMERGENCY CALL FOR SCANNER VOLUNTEERS
WE NEED AT LEAST ONE MORE SCANNER FOR USE AT THE REUNION, AND ONE VOLUNTEER TO HELP IN SCANNING. PLEASE CONTACT US TO OFFER EITHER BY E MAIL TO email@example.com OR CALL JIM O'HARE AT 917 992 4458