Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

LABOR DAY IN SALTAIRE







Click images to enlarge






We all remember the Labor Day Races as Saltaire. In the 1920's days the Yacht Club hosted them. Eventually the Village's athletic program ran them. Ther were plenty of races on the land at the ball field and swimming races at the bay.










In the spirit of Labor Day, we invite your stories about your memories. Did you win a race? Come in last? And from the 1950s and 1960's there was the ultimate prize: "The CUP."
That was the academy award for kids at "classes."


Let us know and we'll post your story. And by the way: bring your trophies and medals to the reunion on September 6.

Here's a story we like:


Olympic Prowess at Saltaire


I’m quite upset when I reflect on The Olympics that just passed in Beijing. None of the events in which I really excelled ever made it into the Water Cube or the Birds’ Nest.

I was really good in the sack. The burlap sack. I could bob and hop at amazing rates. I had never been fast at anything before that rough-textured brown sack was placed around my legs. I don’t know what it was about those sacks and my athletic ability. Magic?

Also my swimming events did not make the cut with the IOC. Very depressing:


The underwater swim. I could dive into the water and swim so far away from the pod of humans way behind me. All surfacing to breathe air. Imagine that! I was still in the depths, easy and free. This prowess served me well when I capsized the Puffin.

The soap race. Another swimming event I excelled in. Once I had the cake of Ivory soap in my teeth, when I could taste the bar and make some bubbles, I could fly through the water like a true champion.

This is how I won my gold medals at Saltaire.

--Patsy O'Shea

No comments: