Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

KATHY BUCHLER CHECKS IN AFTER ALL THESE YEARS

KATHY McMANUS BUCHLER LUND (KATIA LUND) THRILLED US FROM CUTTYHUNK ISLAND WITH HER RE ENTRY INTO THE SALTAIREZONE:

Kathy Buchler writes: "I find it hard to relive so many of my formative Saltaire experiences, but I would like to share this poem taken from a bed and breakfast menu on Cuttyhunk Island, one of the Elizabeth Islands here in Massachusetts."

If Once You Have Slept on an Island

If once you have slept on an island
You'll never be the same.
You may look as you looked the day before,
And go by the same old name.

You may bustle about in street and shop,
You may sit at home and sew
But you'll see blue water and wheeling gulls
Wherever your feet may go.

You may chat with the neighbors of this and that
And close to your fire keep,
But you'll hear ship whistle and lighthouse bell
And tides beat through your sleep.

Oh, you won't know why and you can't say how
Such things upon you came.
But once you have slept on an island
You'll never be quite the same.
--Rachel Field



As I plan to spend my 65th birthday on a boat docked in Cuttyhunk, I remember Captain Al giving me a dollar every birthday because he first brought me to Saltaire when I was 13 days old! My best to you all - who will forever be changed for having slept in Saltaire.



Katia (Kathy Buchler Lund - one of thr Mc Mani)

2 comments:

cosmo said...

I have very fond memories of spending the last night of our honeymoom aboard Ted Friend's 50' Gaff-rigged Schooner in the harbor at Cuttyhunk Island. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Anonymous said...

Wow - good old Kathy Buchler - one of my absolutely all time favorite Marine Walk residents!! Kathy - you're how old?? Did anyone of us while growing up in Saltaire in the 50's and 60's ever imagaine that we'd ever be as old as most of us are now?