Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Who's Who?

Derf writes: My day got a lot better last week when I received an email labeled “who’ who”s with a photo attached. Inside the message read:

hi .... came by the site by accident, but glad we did -lots of fun for us 60's kids. Picture attached; who are those attractive, yet sweaty, kids - and are they drinking beer!!? Of course they are, it was mom's favorite and she liked to share!

Great site; keep it up.


Intrigued I wrote back:

This is Kathy Shea right? I could just about pick you out in the photo you sent. Any chance I could get this in a slightly higher resolution? Next question, did you marry Robbie Macadam and that’s why you are k.mac? If so you should have been in our Saltaire Sweethearts post this past Valentine’s Day.

http://saltaire38.blogspot.com/search?q=valentines . I guess we can serve you 2 up next year.

Hi to you family for me and tell them to check in at the site. I often think of Jeff as he taught me to sail back in the early 70’s. He used to love to freak us out by getting as close to the Captree Spray (tour boat) in the little SYC Mercury we had lessons in.

damn, you got me. Yes, I married Rob (call him Robbie and he'll smack ya) - going on 30 years. Thats Rob in the picture with Alfie and Joey Lapp, Mary Scanlan, and my mom and my sister, Patty. About the picture: I don't think I can do much with it. You're undoubtedly more techie than me - any suggestions?

I'll pass on your Jeff memory - he'll love it (and he's still a smart-ass). Rob & I got thinking about the laughs we got hanging around your father- he was such a hoot! We gals tried to avoid him so we didn't get our cheeks pinched.

I'll poke around for any other fun pics.

Kathy & Rob MacAdam

Harwood, MD





DERF to K. Mac: :

Of course I thought for days about how to get a higher res photo from you, but Jimmy OHare just posted your photo as is with little explanation. I think I am gonna post our emails, I know I enjoyed them. That’s how the site got started after all.
Jimmy always cries when I call him Jimmy and I guess I would not want to be called Georgie, but I doubt that Nancy Connelly would ever call your hubby Rob. We (Saltaire38) love nicknames when we hear about one. How would you like to be called Derf? I was given that by a 10 year old girl when I was about 16. Unfortunately some friends heard it.

JOH responds:

Well, I had nothing to do with naming DERF “DERF,” but all the people I gave names to love them, even after 50 years: Meegan Keegan, Beegan, Teegan ; Beaver, Tiger, Cubbie: the list goes on. There was even a kid at Saltaire I named Chocolate Pig, but nobody can call me "Jimmy."
Moreover, I was counselor to some of those boys in the Pic, and Robbie MacAdam was noted to be “Robbie MacAdam” in my 1962 and 1963 attendance notes that I had to hand in to Uncle Pete, so he must have been named “Robbie” by Uncle Pete, and nothing done by Uncle Pete can ever be changed. So I guess "Robbie" it always must be.
But who is “Jeff”????

Derf to JOH:
Jeff is Jeff Shea, Kathy’s older brother and yes he was my sailing instructor who sailed us too close to the Captree Spray. Now that I think about it Joey Lapp did the same thing.

No comments: