Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

WE HEAR FROM A GREAT OLD FRIEND

click to enlarge

JEFF WEINLANDT AND DUNCAN DOBIE, 1955


Photo by Bill Weinlandt, courtesy Jeff Weinlandt


DUNCAN DOBIE, ONE OF OUR GREAT FRIENDS FROM THE 1950's IS A WELL KNOWN AUTHORITY ON HUNTING, FISHING, AND THE GREAT OUTDOORS. HE IS A WELL PUBLISHED EDITOR OF HUNTING AND FISHING MAGAZINES AND BOOKS. HIS GRANDMA WAS AN OLD TIME SALTAIRIAN, WHO FOR MANY YEARS OWNED A HOUSE ON THE DUNES THAT WAS SOLD TO CHARLES COLLINGWOOD IN THE LATE 1950'S AND IN TURN TO LIZ CLAIBORNE SOME TIME AFTER THAT. SO WE HAVE NOT CROSSED PATHS IN HALF A CENTURY BUT WE REMEMBER HIM LIKE LAST WEEK. HE RECALLS SALTAIRE FONDLY.
I SUSPECT HIS LOVE OF THE OUTDOORS WAS NURTURED IN SALTAIRE, SINCE WE ALL REMEMBER STORIES ABOUT HOW GRANDMA DOBIE WOULD WAKE UP THEIR HOUSE EVERY MORNING AT ABOUT 4:30 AM AND WALK TO THE LIGHTHOUSE AND BACK COLLECTING ALL KINDS OF CHARMING FLOTSAM AND JETSAM FROM THE BEACH. THE DOBIE HOUSE WAS WELL DECORATED WITH TREASURES FROM THE SEA AND THE BEACH.

SO WE REACHED OUT FOR DUNCAN DOBIE AND WE FOUND HIM. HOW MANY MORE OLD FRIENDS ARE OUT THERE SOMEWHERE THAT WE CAN REACH IF EVERYBODY CHIPS IN ON THIS GREAT WEBSITE?












WHAT DUNCAN WRITES SHOWS WHY THIS BLOG EXISTS:



Hi Jim,




This is unbelievable. Thanks for contacting me. I’d love to contribute. I’m sure everyone tells you this, but my summers spent at Saltaire are among the happiest times in my life and many of those great memories are still as vivid as if they happened last week. Seeing the names on this list made chills go down my back. I have many old photos taken in the ’50s and I’d love to share some photos and stories. Like all of the others who shared the experience, I could write a book about those golden days. Actually I have written a few stories about fishing on Fire island. I’m aware of the deer problem. I’ll start digging out some old black and white photos and get them scanned. Please tell Jeff, Larry Lynch and everyone else I said hello.Again thanks. You just made my day!

Duncan
ONLY ON SALTAIRE38.BLOGSPOT.COM




No comments: