Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Kirsty Alley

Another story- This past August I was out on the paddle-wheeler out of Bay Shore (the "Kirsty Alley"?) with the South Shore Estuary Reserve Council, and was up in the wheelhouse meeting Capt. Mike Eagan. Upon noticing my name tag, he asked "Are you any relation to Ollie Hull?" I replied "Did you know my old man?" to which he replied "No, but I sure heard of him!" That's when I learned that he had been a captain on the F.I. Ferries, and had known Capt. Al very well. When I asked if he had ever been in the 'Shim Shack' he said nothing and looked away. He gave the same response when I asked if he had ever spent time in the Saltaire parking lot with Sneaky Pete.


ALWAYS CHECK "COMMENTS" AFTER EACH POSTING FOR EVERYONE ELSE'S THOUGHTS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My last encounter with Captain Egan was with Terry Cunningham aboard the Fire Islander. He threw our sneakers overboard passing West Island--swell guy.