Could everyone write one simple essay about something that once happened in Saltaire…that they saw or were a part of…and put it on one big website? Somebody should collect a lot of stories before we all forget. Otherwise it is like a line in “On The Beach” : The history of the war that now would never be written.” -(JO'H)

Friday, December 7, 2018

Chris Wright

 
 
 
In Memory
 
Chris Wright 
 
1960-2018




Image may contain: 1 person, indoor


AN ODE TO A GREBE
By Cosmo Kipling

Of all them no good Dogfish,   
The finest man I knew
Was our team pitcher, Chris Wright,   
      He was ‘Ogre! Wee-Wah! Clarence!
   ‘You ugly old ogre, Clarence.’ 
So I’ll meet ’im later on
At the place where ’e is gone—
Where it’s an eternal Dogfish game.   
’E’ll be stealing bicycles,
Stealin’ drink and weed from poor damned souls,
An’ I’ll get a swig in hell from Clarence!   
 
      Yes, Grebe! Grebe! Grebe!
   You Lazarushian-leather Ogre!   
   Though you mocked me, and played tricks on me, and stole my weed  
      By the livin’ Gawd that made you,
   You’re a better Grebe than I am, Clarence!











1 comment:

Unknown said...

RIP Ogre! I will always remember our times together. We played hard & won our share, remember the Dogfish was the team of the '90's and you were our leader! There were so many things that I can talk about of our time together in Saltaire. You loved the beach & swimming in the Ocean (cold or warm), letting the sun bake you, and mostly just plain having effortless fun. You will be missed forever, goodbye my friend.


Bilbo AKA Bonics